Friday, March 2, 2012

So Many Stamp Sets So Little Time - Part One

Organizing is not always pretty.  Sure, you can spend time and money to make the little things look down right gorgeous, but at the end of the day it is just prettifying your crap.  Organization takes thought, it takes an understanding of your needs and it takes dedication.  Not to say that having something aesthetically pleasing can't also go with your organizational flow, it just shouldn't be the MAIN focus on being ORGANIZED.

Being a former Professional Organizer has its perks that's for sure!  There was a time when I would have cringed at the thought of organizing a craft room!  Home offices were my forte and where I felt the most comfortable.  Craft rooms?  Scared the living daylights out of me!  Now look at me.  I have a craft room.  I have crafts.  I have to organize all of my goodies!

One of the biggest areas of my extreme consternation were my stamps.  I think I have over 250 stamp sets and let's face it, there is no way to keep them all in order just by memory.  I can barely remember what I had for lunch today let alone which stamp sets I have, their names, what designs they are and where in the world I put them at!  So between my lovely daughter and I, we kicked some major organizing butt!  It ain't purdy, but it sure as hell is effective!

My organizing system has 3 parts and soon to be 4 as soon as Jordyn gets the next phase completed.  She is really hating me right now, but it is all in the name of keeping her mother sane and I am sure staying on my good side since a graduation present is in the works!

The first part of getting a handle on all of my stamps is creating an inventory so to speak.  First, I circle all of the stamp sets I have in my current Stampin' Up! Idea Book.  This ensures that I don't purchase duplicate sets.  Well, it should if I don't forget to circle a stamp set!  Oops!

Second, I have my "Tear Away" catalog to actually cut the stamp sets out and put them in my Inventory Journal.  Again, it isn't pretty, buy it is VERY effective!  I can flip through my book, look for the perfect sentiment, the most ideal design and quickly find it on my massive shelves!



You will also notice the colored stickers on the pages with numbers on them.  THAT is the second part of my Stamp Set Organization method!  I will also admit, it is probably the most time saving solution I have in place!  Which we will discuss in the next segment.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment